Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 17, 2011

Wearing Two Shoes

Today was my first day without crutches AND getting to wear two shoes, more accurately two matching shoes. For the last seven days whenever I venture out (albeit against doctors orders) my feet have been adorned with one running shoe (right foot) and one Adidas slide (left foot). I have felt slightly self-conscious going out with mismatched shoes, I mean it's obvious that my ensemble is justified....especially when seen whizzing speedily down the main aisle of Target in the electric chair cart with crutches in the front shopping basket and my Mother yelling my full name to slow down. In my defense I only took out one poorly placed fixture. I mean seriously, who puts a shipper THERE....sheesh.

But I digress.....

Today I woke up, exactly one week from when the doctor said I had to remain off my foot and attempted with some minor grunting and much lace loosening to get my left foot into my shoe and off I went to class (yes I did wear more than my two shoes). My first workout went well. My trainer, Regina, came up with modifications....while my classmates were running I was pedaling along on the stationary. Our usual Monday arm day exercises were a tad more challenging only because I've spent the last seven days walking on my arm pits while swinging my body through two aluminum sticks while praying I didn't swing myself too violently and fall. (this has happened before) There were seated kettle bell swings, standing kettle bell swings, power max 360, rope battles, bicep curls, hanging crunches and push ups....lots and lots of push ups. I felt confident after class that I had successfully made it through with a minimum bump in my pain level.....down to a 4 from a 9.

Feeling confident with my new found magically shoes I headed to the post office where I must admit after having to stand in lane for 10 minutes I looked like a flamingo, standing one legged until I had something to lean against....and missing my crutches as I realized how fatigued my left foot was. However I focused on the positive...the nearly perfect form I had and the stellar work out my right quad was receiving.

Today showed me that I'm recovering, slowly but recovering. I helped the recovery process along with a 10 minute ice bath tonight. Yes, if you heard a loud intake of air and a series of curses in a somewhat high pitched voice, that would have been me getting into the ice water bath to soak my legs, hips and knees all of which are sore. But hey, it was all worth it because I got to wear my shoes...and as most of you know I love my shoes. Tomorrow.....I take a couple miles on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment