Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 22, 2015

Marine Corps Marathon 2015 Training Begins

Another marathon training season has begun. I always feel that I start out the training season gung ho and filled with passion, only to fizzle out mid way through. The fizzle more often than not is the result of outside factors: my thyroid, unseasonably strange weather of one end of the spectrum or the other, major life event. This year I plan to stay the course. My intention is to follow the Hal Higdon plan to a t. After thinking about my disastrous marathon from last year I have found a few key areas that I plan to focus on that will make this year’s race more successful.
 
This training season I plan to:
 
  • Work on strength training
    • Specifically glute and upper body strength to improve posture
  • Increase core strength
    • This could go with strength training but it’s a key component that needs its own focus
  • Increase flexibility
    • I need much better overall flexibility but, my hip flexors are notoriously horrible; working at a desk job makes them worse. Working them is incredibly painful but necessary to be successful
  • Strengthen my knowledge about running and training techniques.
    • Basically just read everything I can. Watch documentaries. Just learn my craft as much as possible.
  • Have fun         
    • This I think will be the most challenging component of my plan, but I need to remember to have fun. Remember why I started to run. Remember that I am accomplishing that something only about 1% of the world’s population has ever accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment