Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 11, 2011

#PrayforJapan and #CrescentCity


Crescent City Morning
               I woke this morning to images that were somewhat reminiscent of the destruction of 9/11. I sat rooted on the side of my bed thinking that perhaps I was in some nightmarish scenario. Somewhere between fully awake and partially asleep. I was nearly late to boot camp this morning as I flipped between the Weather Channel and CNN watching the images and trying to make sense of what was happening. Despite spending the day watching the images on constant replay I am not yet able to fully comprehend the magnitude of what has happened.
                As the concern of a potential tsunami made its way to the United States I was left with conflicting emotions. Tsunamis seem like such a distinctly foreign concept. It’s something that was studied in various science classes; seen happen in faraway places. But to have such a catastrophic natural event knock on our borders left me feeling…agitated.
Standing on the beach
                When I turned on the news this evening after a brief respite to clear my head I heard of the tragedy in Crescent City, CA. One killed and three swept to sea. While it seems that the person killed was attempting to take pictures of the tsunami waves, it doesn’t lessen the tragedy. Especially with the assumed loss of three lives swept to sea, not to mention the livelihood of many who lost their boats when the harbor was destroyed.
                I realized that some of my agitation and unnamed emotions stemmed from having been to many of the places on the left coast. Having spent many days driving along the PCH enjoying the coast line, feeling the ocean breeze on my face. Following the coast through the Redwood’s and into Crescent City and up through the Pacific Northwest. Perhaps it was knowing that only 6 months ago I was in the very location that turned out to be such a tragic spot for many that has left me feeling so jumbled inside.
                Crescent City, CA was an awesome town. The people were incredibly nice; while it lacked a decent place to eat for a vegetarian the misty views over the ocean were amazing. I spent time walking the beach and dipped my toes in the Pacific Ocean. The view from my Brady Bunch-era decorated room was terrific. I found a fondest in my heart for Crescent City, perhaps because as a photographer the docks provided ample opportunity to capture some amazing images. 
                While I remember the people of Crescent City fondly I also hold in my heart all the other people and places that have been so adversely affected by the earthquake and tsunami. I wish that I knew specifically what to pray for that would somehow solve their problems but it seems so overwhelming, so I will just pray for the people of the small town I fell in love with; for the people of the world who are faced with unthinkable challenges and tragedy I pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment