Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Success! Complete with a nap and a near heart attack

                Today’s running excursion was a moderate success. In terms of distance and speed it’s probably not worth mentioning however in regards to pain (or lack thereof) it is. After being inspired by The Barn Beast’s theory of PTFU (Prepare The F*#k Up) I decided to do just that and take this running thing by the horns, ankles and calves be somewhat damned. As it seems that running on hard surfaces like roads, sidewalks and anything else that resembles a race course has been challenging, I decided to run on a treadmill. Aside from the freezing temperatures and its impact on my asthma I felt that by using a treadmill I didn’t have to figure out a way to get home should I get too far away and my ankles gave out. Crawling is not something I like to do unless it involves looking for contact lenses.
                The gym where I sometimes work out is small and most importantly free. It has two treadmills. An elliptical. Some interesting bicycle contraptions.  A few weight machines. And one of those lounge chair ab torture things that look like the wrong move would result in you being turned into a sandwich. It’s a pretty basic gym that I should probably mention is located inside a retirement community. Since I am often times “volunteered” by the Volunteer Director (who happens to be my mother) I get to use the gym for free.
                When I arrived this morning one of the residents that I recognized but couldn’t remember her name was there working her way around the various machines.  I started out on the treadmill at a gentle walk, all the while wishing I had remembered my ear plugs to lessen the volume of the TV playing. Honestly, I was surprised that CNN studios weren’t suffering from feedback in NY from the volume of the TV in the gym. While I am a great fan of Christine Romans and the CNNam crew, I typically listen to their show at a much lower volume. After starting my jog the kind lady whose name slips my mind, my description of short with gray hair and glasses drew a groan of irritation from my Volunteer Director mother, decided to use the lounge chair ab torture thing which happens to be in front of the treadmill. As I was running along listening to the commentary on the situation in the Middle East I began to realize that my gym companion had stopped moving. When I peaked over the top of my machine I realized she wasn’t moving and her eyes were closed, my initial thought was horror that the torture contraption killed this little lady whose name I don’t know but who is very sweet. I was much relieved when I heard the loudest snore I have ever heard escape from this little tiny person.
                We were joined shortly by another resident who fits the previous description and again whose name I can’t remember. (In my defense there are over 400 residents who for the most part have gray hair and glasses). She walked slowly on the treadmill next to mine while I ran until I felt the slight twinge in my ankle and knew I needed to stop while the getting was good. As I slowed to a walk the lady who had decided to nap in the ab lounge chair torture contraption woke up and acted as if she hadn’t been asleep and quickly began crunching away…nearly giving our new gym companion a heart attack since she didn’t realize there was someone snoozing on the gym equipment. It was quite a humorous way to spend time in the gym.
                In the end, after the overly loud TV and snoring gym companion, I did a 12 minute 1.5 mile run at 4.5 mph with a 2% incline. I ended up walking about that same distance between the warm up and cool down.  Not an awesome workout but I’m pleased with how long I went without pain. Most importantly, I’m feeling like I have my confidence back. I’ve got my game face back and I’m PTFU. It’s a little over 3 weeks until my first race ever and I’m feeling like I’ve got it. 

2 comments: